Are We Resilient?

As being ‘resilient’ means to able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions. A difficult condition may be like this pandemic… or it can be pollution as well. On taking a closer look one can find that conditions like a pandemic is slightly different from pollution. The difference is the time taken to show their effects. On one hand pandemic shows effects instantaneously while pollution, on the other hand, shows its effects slowly… but yes, steadily! So being ‘resilient’ not only means to combat short-term problems like a pandemic but also long-term problems like pollution.
Health is, according to WHO, a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease. Referencing the above knowledge we can find that very few peoples are healthy. We clearly need some changes in this field. Science? We think ourselves very developed. But still we need to give our advancements a new direction so that it leads to our development not destruction.
Science and health are closely related to each other. What we think in our mind is what is invented or developed and that makes all the difference in the world we live in. For example Nuclear Energy, it is used in medicine—in the form of Nuclear Medicine, as well as used in weapons—in the form of Nuclear Weapons. If Nuclear energy is used constructively we get the former and if vice-versa, we get the latter. So what’s making so much difference here—one gives life while other takes? It’s the use of our mind; if used positively, it will give positive results and if used negatively, negative results will prevail.
It is said that a healthy mind resides in a healthy body. So it is important to keep ourselves healthy to think positively and use the science constructively and develop sustainably.
For being resilient in the short-term, we have to change our HEALTH. Here ‘health’ means preferences concerning it. We prefer market-place food over home-made food; this needs to be changed. We prefer getting busy after waking up over doing some exercise and meditation; this needs to be changed. A big fraction of children and youth rely, for nearly everything, on gadgets and it is one of the leading cause of depression, anxiety, bullying, etc. According to a recent report half of the all cases of depression starts at the age of 14 and most of them goes undetected and untreated. This is a case where both health and technology (Science) needs to be changed.
For being resilient in the long-term, we have to change our SCIENCE. We are developing but most of our development isn’t sustainable. Talking about pollution—about 8 million tons of plastic ends up in our oceans every year making up about 80% of all marine debris. Biodiversity decline—More than 1 million species are threatened with extinction, many within decades, more than ever before in human history, a report by UN says. In one sense of the word, science today is taking more lives than giving today; this needs to be changed. This fact, although many people can notice, goes unnoticed because we humans think that our lives are more precious than that of animals. Should we think our development is going on a right track? No, at least no with such kinds of idea. We should think life, whether of a human or an animal, as a vote—each have one—and their value is also equal. We should learn to value each and every life—which we are today not valuing; this needs to be changed.

3 Likes

Great read… Dude!
It’s common to think that we’re in a resilient position. But we aren’t.
This article, @vritantkumar provided an amazing outlook. Wonderful.

Thanks @vritantkumar @systemschangealliance @RBjonnes

1 Like

Please keep writing like this, wonderful-cum-infomative pieces. @vritantkumar

1 Like

Thanks @johnhoop for motivating me…

I would like to thank @systemschangealliance for providing me this platform.
Thanks are also due to @roshnii who helped me a lot in my initial days in making me understand the ABC of this platform…

Thank you all!

1 Like