2021 Photographic Submissions

Rock Men

1 Like

Leaking canoe

1 Like

A group of women busy in shallow water fishing with a special conical net used in tribal area of West Bengal, India

1 Like

A group of women from farmers’ family in Krishnanagar area in West Bengal, India, form a self-help group to run a business which deliver tomato to local food & beverage industries for producing tomato soup & sauce, busy in sorting out the best products. Getting bank loan 5 years back they formed the self help group with the help of local 4 women now almost 90 women from nearby farmer’s family work together to supply almost 950 quintals of tomato everyday clearly shows the positive effect of financial inclusion in poor farmer’s life.

1 Like

Local community members are involved in paddy drying to bring out best quality rice through manual processing in West Bengal, India

1 Like

Title - Clay pot over plastic in local economic stabilization

Description - A woman making traditional clay pots in a village of India, which is an alternative for many plastic products for sustainable future and also help rural communities to empower economically.

1 Like

Uploading: BOILING RICE.jpg…

1 Like

Cultivate

Leah is the founder of Cultivate London, an innovative urban farm and social enterprise that employs young people to grow food on derelict and disused land.

1 Like

The Food Waste Warrior

Up to half of all food produced on the planet is wasted, whilst, ironically, the world is heading towards a food crisis. In the UK, an estimated 20 million tonnes of food are wasted each year from plough to plate, whilst 4 million people are affected by food poverty. At least 400,000 tonnes of this are thrown away at retail level - cast aside and left to rot in landfill sites.

Tom Fletcher, a young chef, decided to do something about this. One day in 2012 he set out, by bicycle, to a food market to rescue the finest specimens of unsold fruit and vegetables. He decided to transform the surplus food into healthy, eco-friendly juices, soups and smoothies.

Since then, he has gathered a team of volunteers. First thing every morning, they go to London’s biggest wholesale food markets to salvage fresh, nutritious, surplus food. Then they transport it back to their kitchen to juice it and cook it, then bottle the drinks in 100% compostable bottles to sell at affordable prices. So far, Tom and his team of waste warriors have saved an estimated 60 tonnes of wholesome fruit and veg, making them not just “Carbon Neutral” but “Carbon Negative”.

In his self-build kitchen, made entirely from reclaimed material, Tom makes delicious juices and smoothies from food that would have otherwise been wasted.

1 Like

The Toy Rescuer

It was more than a decade ago that Odile arrived at the community of La Poudrière in Péruwelz, Belgium, only 5 km from France, her country. Odile was in her early twenties when she and her husband decided to explore an alternative lifestyle. Intentional communities offered them a rich experience which they have enjoyed without regrets for almost 40 years. “We wanted to put ourselves at the service of those wounded by life and La Poudrière responded to this need” she says. “So, we arrived”.

La Poudrière is spread over three different geographical locations: Brussels, in the city, Rummen, lost in the Flemish countryside, and Péruwelz, a small town in the countryside – that was where they chose to stay.

The economic activity of the community revolves around a second-hand shop, “traditional” work in Emmaüs communities: recovering used objects (furniture, clothing, electronics, toys and bric-à-brac), sorting, cleaning, repairing and labelling them for sale.

When Odile arrived at La Poudrière, she was offered to work in the Toys’ department and this is her favourite activity of all. She had done training to become a nursery teacher and she has always liked to play with children. “When I work with toys, I play!”, she confesses. At the beginning she did not have any knowledge about the giving-a-second-life-to-used-objects industry, but she learned a lot. How to replace a broken zipper? How to make dolls’ knickers from old socks? Odile loves tinkering – when something’s broken she will always find a way to fix it.

Odile also enjoys the contact she has with customers who come to buy toys: “I try to have a special relationship with each of them; some of the most loyal even share their worries with me. I am happy to give advice and to receive their knowledge of antique toys, an area that I still have to learn about.” Odile gets help from experts who estimate the value of antique dolls. A small porcelain doll with real teeth dating from 1920 was estimated at € 3,000 - but she never gets this kind of money in their second-hand shop frequented by customers with low incomes. On average, two dolls per sale find a new home, which means about 150 dolls a year, from the simplest plastic doll, at € 0.50, to the most expensive. The sales reached € 12,700 in 2013, while the quantity of toys recovered was 5500 Kg. The toys sector represents the smallest part of the shops’ total turnover.

The sales allow the community to survive financially, but it is the friendship that gives meaning to life in the community. As Odile says, “what I appreciate the most is the brotherhood that is created with each passing day between “those injured and those spoiled by life” as defined by Father Leon, the founder. I learned a lot about the weaknesses and wounds of those who live here and my compassion grew. I share my affection and love of life with everyone."

1 Like

the dignity of a simple seller
description: the story behind this photo is that this man has a very tiny shop somewhere in the deep part of isfahan’s bazar
so we asked him about the details but he just answers short and enough so the name is also because of his character .

1 Like

THE RING SELLER
description : All he had was his rings

1 Like

GIVING LIFE TO COPPER
description: The man who works on copperwares nearby the SHAH’S SQUARE located in Isfahan. actually his work is one the most famous artworks in Iran.

1 Like

Yellow Carpet

1 Like

Plastic recycling

1 Like

Sweet shop

1 Like

In India most of the sanitary napkins which women use are mostly made of plastic and non bio degradable. And there are more than 50% ladies till date who can not afford to have sanitary napkins when they are on period. So the problem is two directional. To educate people to use sanitary napkins and also to eradicate the use of non biodegradable sanitary napkins few NGOs have come forward. They are organising Self Help Groups and appointing women to make sanitary napkins. Women are getting salaries which is helping in their livelihoods and also they are getting free bio degradable sanitary napkins. This idea is doing wonders. These working ladies are also taught to spread awareness of using sanitary napkins. Moreover the sanitary napkin companies of India make huge profit with their plastic products and many women can not afford to buy them. Now these NGOs are giving away sanitary napkins in mere 2 to 3 INR so that the mass population of the country can use sanitary napkins. I went to document such a NGO named ‘Stree’ (meaning Lady) and clicked this image.

1 Like

Jute is the second most important vegetable fiber after cotton due to its versatility. It is used chiefly to make cloth for wrapping bales of raw cotton, and to make sacks and coarse cloth. The fibers are also woven into curtains, chair coverings, carpets, area rugs, hessian cloth, and backing for linoleum. It is environment friendly, it is durable, it is recyclable so jute cultivation should be given more emphasization.
Attachments area

1 Like

1 Like

Thank you to everyone who entered the photographic challenge. The quality of the submissions has been really high. Now we have the task of deciding on the winners.
Stay tuned to our website. Winners will be announced on the 1st May.

For regular updates and news from Systems Change Alliance, sign up to our newsletter.

Roshnii

Arts & Communications